About Commerce

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a license for my new business?
The requirement for a business license depends on the type of business you plan to run or the service you are providing. Not all business types need a license or permit. We recommend you visit our Start-Up Frequently Asked Questions page and the Startup Guide.
How do I register a business or select a business name?
You register an Oklahoma business with the Secretary of State's office. You can find the appropriate forms online or you may contact the Business Filing Department directly at 405-521-3912. You may also need to register your business with the Oklahoma Tax Commission, 405-521-3279. Our Business Licensing System will link you to the appropriate forms and agencies where registration is required for your business.
Where do I find out about grants and other funding for businesses?
Our Financial Resources section has a wealth of information on business funding. However, we are aware of no grant money available for small and start-up businesses. If you are seeking grants for a non-profit business, visit the Grants.gov website where you can search for information on federal grants. You may also find information on non-profit grants at the Foundation Center.
How do I get to the Oklahoma Department of Commerce offices in Oklahoma City?

The Oklahoma City headquarters is located at 900 N. Stiles Ave.

I'm looking for Oklahoma statistics, such as new and expanding employers, cost-of-living, unemployment rates, enterprise zones, and population. Where can I find that information?
Our Data and Research section contains a wide array of economic and business data, demographic and population data, and workforce data.
I need information related to a Woman-Owned or Minority-Owned business.
You'll find everything you're looking for on this website in the New and Existing Business section. Women-Owned Businesses and Minority-Owned Businesses.
I want to know more about the Main Street Program.
Visit the Oklahoma Main Street section of this website.
I'm looking for information about Community Development Block Grants (CDBG).
Visit the Community Development Block Grants page for information about infrastructure, human development, and energy-related grants and funding available to communities.
Where can I get weatherization assistance for my home?
Weatherization assistance for individuals is primarily administered locally by the Community Action Agency (CAA) in your area. Eligible applicants are low-income individuals, and priority is given to the elderly, handicapped and families with children. To find the CAA nearest you, use the interactive map on the Oklahoma Association of CAAs website or contact Linda Goode in the Commerce office at 405-815-5351 or 800-879-6552.
Where can find help in paying my utility bills
The Low-Income Housing Energy Assistance Program is a federally funded program that provides help with utility bill-paying, energy crisis assistance, and weatherization and energy-related home repairs. The program is administered locally through the Community Action Agency in your area. Your LIHEAP administrator determines if your household's income qualifies for the program. To find the CAA nearest you, use the interactive map on the Oklahoma Association of CAAs website or contact Linda Goode in the Commerce office at 405-815-5351 or 800-879-6552.
I have a question or comment about this website. Who can I contact?
Contact Bryan Boone at 405-815-5191 or by e-mail at bryan_boone@okcommerce.gov.