Aerospace & Defense
Soaring to Success
Oklahoma has a legacy of aerospace innovation and success dating back more than 100 years, with pioneers like Wiley Post, who launched his career of exploring the limits of high-altitude, long-distance flight in our state. Today, some of the world’s most successful aerospace companies operate in Oklahoma.
Aerospace is Oklahoma’s past, present and future. Our central location has made us a hub for Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) where a strong, skilled workforce rebuilds and repairs aircraft. Add to that the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, the central training and support facility in the U.S. for the FAA and the U.S. Department of Transportation. The American Airlines commercial aircraft MRO in Tulsa, Okla., is the largest in the nation. Tinker Air Force Base, the largest military MRO in the country. The list goes on and on.
- The Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center at Tinker Air Force Base is the largest depot in the U.S. Department of Defense.
- More than 120,000 Oklahomans employed by companies in the aerospace and defense industry.
- Oklahoma is one of the seven centers in the world for Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul.
- The Oklahoma Air & Spaceport has the only FAA approved space flight corridor in the National Airspace System not within restricted airspace or Military Operating Area. It has one of the longest and the widest runways in North America (13,503×300-foot), six commercial aircraft hangars and land available for lease with bonding authority.
It is one of the ten in the U.S. with an FAA Launch Site Operator License.
- The American Airlines Maintenance and Engineering Center in Tulsa is the largest commercial MRO facility in the world.
- The FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center is the central support and training facility in the U.S. for the FAA and the U.S. Department of Transportation. The center trains more than 20,000 students a year.
- Twelve of Oklahoma’s colleges and universities have aerospace programs.
- Oklahoma is home to the nation’s first UAS-focused degree program.
Aerospace Companies that Call Oklahoma Home
- American Airlines
- Asco Industries
- BizJet International
- The Boeing Company
- Flight Safety
- General Electric
- Lockheed Martin
- Lufthansa Technik
- Northrop Grumman
- Pratt & Whitney
- Spirit Aerosystems