Local Update of Census Addresses
Oklahoma and the U.S. Census Bureau are preparing for the 2020 decennial Census. For Oklahoma tribes, cities and towns to be properly represented, local government participation is needed in the Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) program.
LUCA is the only opportunity for Oklahoma’s local government officials to review and comment on the U.S. Census Bureau’s residential address list prior to the 2020 Census.
Nationally, $589.7 billion in annual federal assistance funding is tied to Census Bureau data. Oklahoma’s portion is $6.55 billion per year. An accurate population count is necessary for Oklahoma to receive its fair share of funds and to ensure your community receives proper funding. These programs include:
- Medicare Part B
- Title 1 grants for education, highway planning and construction
- Section 8 Housing
- Head Start
A full population count will also help you plan for your community’s future needs.
If your community needs assistance from the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, contact Jon Chiappe at email@example.com or 405-815-5210.
LUCA Program Schedule
- July 2017
Invitation letter and registration forms mailed to the highest elected official or tribal chairperson of all eligible governments.
- October 2017
Training workshops begin.
- December 2017
Deadline for tribes, cities and towns to register.
- February 2018
Participation materials mailed to registered participants. Participants have 120 calendar days from the receipt of materials to complete their review.
- August 2019
Feedback materials offered to participants with the results of Address Canvassing.
- April 1, 2020
State Data Center Affiliates
- Indian Nations Councils of Governments (INCOG)
- Tulsa Metro Chamber
- Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce
- Eastern Oklahoma Development District (EODD)
- Association of South Central Oklahoma Governments (ASCOG)
- Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG)
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation
- Oklahoma Employment Security Commission
- Oklahoma Office of Workforce Development
- Small Business Development Center
- Oklahoma Department of Libraries
- Oklahoma House of Representatives
- Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
- Creek Nation
- Oklahoma State University
- Cherokee Nation
- Oklahoma State Department of Health
- Oklahoma Economic Development Authority
- Grand Gateway
- City of Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma State Senate
- Choctaw Nation